Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pzizz?
Pzizz's mission is to bring great sleep to the world. Our apps help you quickly quiet your mind, fall asleep fast, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed.
We create beautiful “dreamscapes” — a mix of music, voiceover and sound effects designed using the latest clinical research — to help you sleep better at night or take power naps during the day.
How does Pzizz work?
To understand how, you first have to understand why. The vast majority of cases of people suffering from insomnia are caused by a disease called, “too much thinking;” people lie awake at night unable to shut off their brains. So the key is if you can calm the mind, you can induce sleep. That’s what Pzizz does. Based on the latest clinical research, our patented system plays you a sleep-optimized mix of music, voiceover, and sound effects that quickly quiets your mind, puts you to sleep, keeps you asleep, and wakes you up feeling refreshed. Learn more about the science behind Pzizz.
All you have to do is listen to Pzizz. Headphones/earbuds are recommended for optimal effectiveness, but your built-in device speaker will work too.
Is there science behind Pzizz?
Yes. We’ve had initial clinical validation and spend a great deal of time turning academic and clinical research into reality. Check out the science behind Pzizz on our blog for more information.
What makes Pzizz different?
Our sleep researchers work closely with our audio engineers to create beautiful dreamscapes that are backed by academic psycho-acoustics, and we pair these musical dreamscapes with voice narrations based on clinical sleep interventions, and then infuse them with personalization driven through our learning algorithms so you have a different audio sequence each night (which is important to keep Pzizz effective over time).
You can read more about the science behind Pzizz here.
Who should use Pzizz?
- People who have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up feeling refreshed.
- People who feel tired during the middle of the day and are open to using a quick nap to boost their energy levels.
- Anyone who wants better sleep, even if you think you get good sleep now, as Pzizz can improve every aspect of your rest.
- People who want to get in the zone and be more productive.
How much does Pzizz cost?
Pzizz is free to download and offers access to "Classic Pzizz" content and features at no charge. To gain full access to all Pzizz content and features, you will need to purchase Pzizz Pro, available from our website or as an in-app purchase. For current pricing, see our buy page.
Our mission is to bring great sleep to the world. We wish we could do that without charging for our service, but it costs quite a bit to develop and maintain apps, create on-going music and narration content, do research, and pay for all the staff that make Pzizz a reality.
That being said, we never like to hear about people having financial difficulties. If you can't afford Pzizz but feel you would still really benefit, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you with our financial assistance program.
How do you pronounce Pzizz?
"Puh-ziz." Here's a short video on exactly how it's done.
Does Pzizz make other apps?
Yes! You can see all of the apps included in your Pzizz subscription here.
Can Pzizz be used on children?
Lots of Pzizz users have reported great success with using it on children. Actually one Washington D.C. based teacher found it worked really well to give her class a nap.
How to best listen to Pzizz?
Many users find it works for them just using the built-in phone speaker. There are some drawbacks to doing that in terms of sound quality and rendering; there are things we are doing in the audio that can't be perceived that well (or at all) without good quality stereo sound (preferably earbuds or headphones). But the most important thing is to find something comfortable that works for you.
Best headphones/earbuds for sleep?
If normal headphones/earbuds bother you during sleep, you can try various types of "sleep headphones." We wrote an in-depth article looking at different options. Click here to read it.
Should I listen to Pzizz the whole nap/night?
For optimal effectiveness you should listen to it for the entire duration of sleep; it will help you stay asleep and wake up feeling refreshed. If for some reason you prefer not to, we built fade out timers into the app that will allow you to fade Pzizz to silence after a period of time.
How quickly will Pzizz work?
For most people it should work pretty well the first time you use it. A number of people have reported however that they needed to use it for a few nights before they started realizing the benefits. Our recommendation is to give it a try for seven days, and see how it changes your sleep for the better.
Where can I reach you for help?
Contact us at email@example.com and our amazing team of customer support heros will reply back within 24 hours.
How do I snooze/cancel an alarm on an iOS device?
For devices with 3D/Force Touch capabilities:
- When your alarm goes off, Force Touch on the alarm notification (either from your lockscreen or from the notification center) and you will be shown the options to "snooze" or "cancel" the alarm.
For devices that don't have Force Touch capabilities:
- When the alarm goes off, long-hold on the alarm notification (either from your lockscreen or from the notification center) and you will be shown the options to "snooze" or "cancel" the alarm.
- When the alarm goes off, swipe left on the alarm notification (either from your lockscreen or from the notification center), tap on "view" and you will then be shown the options to "snooze" or "cancel" the alarm.
Automatically set iOS volume for Pzizz
- Open up the Shortcuts app
- Tap on Automation at the bottom
- Tap on the top right+to add a new automation, selecting Create Personal Automation
- Scroll down to the App option and tap on it
- Choose the App, in this case Pzizz, and ensure the 'Is Opened' option is selected
- Tap on Next to select an action and then on Add Action
- Search for 'volume' and tap on 'Set Volume'
- You will then be able to set the volume amount you would like the system to automatically go to when Pzizz is opened, and once done, tap on Next
- The last screen will give you the option to disable the 'Ask Before Running' option, which is recommended so that it all happens automatically
Does my subscription work across devices/platforms?
Yes, it absolutely does! Your subscription is account specific, not device specific, so if you purchased a Pzizz subscription on your iOS device, you can easily access the Pro content on your Android device as well, or vice versa. All you need to do is sign in to the other device with the same Pzizz account and voila, Pro will be automatically unlocked for you!
If, for some reason, it doesn't work for you, please shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I check if I have an active subscription?
How to check an iTunes subscription on iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Settings app.
- Tap iTunes & App Store.
- Tap on your Apple ID.
- Tap View Apple ID when the pop up window appears.
- Enter your Apple ID password or fingerprint ID when prompted.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Tap on Pzizz and it will give more details on the subscription status. If it's not listed, you most probably aren't subscribed.
How to check your app subscription on Android
- Open the Google Play Store
- Tap the top left menu
- Tap Account
- Tap Subscriptions
- Tap on Pzizz and it will give more details on the subscription status. If it's not listed, you most probably aren't subscribed.
How to check your app subscription if you subscribed over the webEmail email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help.
Having trouble finding your subscription or want to know something else? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you out.
How do I restore my Pro access?
Tap on the top left menu icon in the app and then tap on the "restore purchase" button from the slide out menu.
How do I cancel my trial/subscription?
Tap the top left menu icon in the app and then tap "Manage Subscription."
Alternatively you can open up the Store app on your device, navigate to your account settings (from the slide out menu on the Google Play Store or by tapping on your account image in the App Store), tap on subscriptions and then on Pzizz. You can then manage the subscription from here, including cancelling it.
Note: if you purchased directly with us on our website, just shoot our support an email at email@example.com for assistance and we'll be happy to manage the subscription for you.
Do I have to create an account to use Pzizz?
No, you don't have to create an account to use Pzizz. However, having an account allows you to sign into your other devices to gain Pro access, share the Pro access with family members or gain access to our other apps that are included with your Pzizz subscription.
How do I delete my Pzizz account if I have one?
Click the top left menu in the app, click your profile at the top of the slide out menu, and then click the "delete account" button on your profile page.
How do I use my Pzizz subscription on other Pzizz apps?
We include a number of apps as part of your Pzizz subscription. When you download any of these additional apps, tap "Restore Subscription," then "Email," and login with your Pzizz credentials to gain access.
What are the benefits to getting a good sleep?
- Improve memory
- Reinforce practiced skills
- Live longer
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce inflammation
- Increase creativity
- Higher athletic performance
- Reduce attention deficit
- Improve reaction speed
- Lose weight easier
- Lower stress levels
- Avoid accidents
- Ward off depression
- Better sex life
- Lower pain threshold (less pain)
- Lower risk of injury
- Clearer thinking
- Stronger immune system
How does sleep work?
- NREM is broken into three segments: Stage 1 ( known as N1), Stage 2 (N2), and Stage 3 (N3). REM also has segments, although they are rarely written about and not useful to talk about for our purposes (and I’m sure you’re just dying to know).
- A breakdown of the phases:
- Stage 1-Drowsy, relaxed state between being awake and nodding off. Your breathing slows, and blood pressure decreases. About ~5% of total sleep time.
- Stage 2-Light sleep; your body temperature cools and heart rate drops. You become disengaged with your surroundings, although you can generally still easily be woken up. About ~45% of sleep time.
- Stage 3-Deep sleep; it’s very hard to wake up from this state. A number of restorative processes happen in the body that help healing, memory and more. About ~25% of sleep time.
- REM-Heart and respiration rates increase and become irregular. Your body paralyzes itself to inhibit movement. Your body temperature further decreases. Most of your dreams happen in this state. Interestingly, unlike Stages 1-3, brain activity in REM looks very similar to being awake. About ~25% of sleep time.
- A typical night’s sleep goes like this: we enter into N1, which initially lasts a few minutes, then quickly move to N2, then N3, back to N2, and then REM. This whole cycle takes about 90 minutes. As the night progresses, we spend less time in N3, and predominately keep switching between N2 and REM (and REM duration gets longer and longer). Here’s what it looks like on a graph:
How fast should I fall asleep?
The average person falls asleep in about 14 minutes. A “normal” healthy range is thought to be about 5-10 minutes (if you fall asleep too quickly that could be a sign that you’re not sleeping enough), although again, it varies significantly from person to person.
What is the optimal length for a great nap?
It varies from person to person, but research suggests approximately 20 minutes is the perfect amount of time; the best thing to do is to start with that and then experiment with different lengths and find out what works for you. Just be careful not to nap so long that you go into stages of deep sleep; waking up from that part of your sleep cycle will often leave you feeling groggy instead of refreshed!
How long should I sleep for?
- Older Adults (above 65 years old)
- Recommended: 7-8 hours
- May be appropriate: 5-9 hours
- Adults (18-64 years old)
- Recommended: 7-9 hours
- May be appropriate: 6-11 hours
- Teenager (14-17 years old)
- Recommended: 8-10 hours
- May be appropriate: 7-11 hours
- School Age (6-13 years old)
- Recommended: 9-11 hours
- May be appropriate: 7-12 hours
- Preschool (3-5 years old)
- Recommended: 10-13 hours
- May be appropriate: 8-14 hours
- Toddler (1-2 years old)
- Recommended: 11-14 hours
- May be appropriate: 9-16 hours
- Infant (4-11 months)
- Recommended: 12-15 hours
- May be appropriate: 10-18 hours
- Newborn (0-3 months)
- Recommended: 14-17 hours
- May be appropriate: 11-19 hours
Tips to improve sleep:
- Don’t eat late
- Don’t drink caffeine or alcohol late
- Don’t oversleep on weekends
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule
- Exercise (daily, if possible)
- Stay relaxed (don’t stress out too much)
- Make sure to have a comfortable sleeping environment
- Try to limit how much you stare at electronic devices that emit blue light (phones, computers, etc) before bed-time.
- Try sleeping on your left side
- Make sure your bed, pillow, and sheets are comfortable for you
- Use Pzizz regularly :)
Join over 1,000,000+ people
Fall asleep fast and wake up feeling restored and energinized. Have more energy throughout the day, and feel less stressed.