Power naps are proven to have tremendous advantages, not only for the sleepless, but even people who have had a good night’s sleep. The health benefits of power naps include a boost in energy, emotion regulation, perceptual memory, memory consolidation, associative memory, and creative thinking. Yet many people have trouble getting the most out of their nap time, spending only 60% of a nap actually sleeping. If you need to recharge but can’t get to sleep, consider learning how to power nap with Pzizz.
Pzizz is a revolutionary power nap app for iPhone and Android that combines cutting-edge research into sleep, neuro-science, psychophysiology, and psychoacoustics to help you fall asleep fast and wake from your power nap feeling energized and productive.
Pzizz: Sleep at the Push of a Button
- Get to sleep fast and wake from your nap refreshed with handcrafted musical “dreamscapes” tailored to different stages of your sleep cycle
- Quickly relax into sleep with voice narrations based on real clinical sleep interventions
- Proven the best sleep aid in a peer-reviewed clinical trial
- Never tire of Pzizz, with new content added each month
Download for a FREE 7-DAY TRIAL and have the best nap of your life.
“Give @pzizz a try! Love that app and helps me fall asleep or nap on command.”
-Daniel Weinand, Shopify Co-Founder
The Benefits of Power Naps
A quick power nap does more than make you feel well rested. In fact, power naps confer all sorts of surprising cognitive, emotional, and productive benefits.
- Power naps boost “perceptual learning” dependent on sensory stimuli, like recognizing faces. A 60-90 minute power nap confers the same benefits as a full night’s sleep.
- A quick power nap has the same benefits for “memory consolidation” as a full night’s sleep, as memories are moved from the hippocampus to different areas in the cortex for long-term storage during sleep. Power naps have been shown to boost “associative memory,” such as learning the meaning of words in a foreign language, when taken after a study session.
- Emotional regulation, especially tolerance for frustration and impulse control, has been shown to improve after a 60-minute day-time nap.
- Sleep deprivation can produce a 20% decrease in brain serotonin, leading to irritability. Leading sleep researchers have written that, “other than exercising, there is no better way to immediately offset a negative mood [than napping].”
Productivity and Creativity
- Studies on workplace fatigue have shown that a 15 to 20 minute nap benefits mood, morale, and energy for 6 hours, even if the napping employee does not report feeling more rested.
- Power naps have a positive correlation with creativity, defined as the formation of associative networks and the integration of unassociated information. Some studies show that REM sleep, in particular, is responsible for the original thinking that we understand as “creative.”
“@pzizz I had the most magical 25 minute nap of all time.”-Rexie
How to Power Nap
There is no definitive set of rules for how to power nap best, but there are guidelines that you can follow depending on how long you slept the night before, the reason you have for napping, and how quickly you have to recover after your nap before continuing with your day.
- If you are sleep deprived and want to re-energize yourself, a 10-minute power nap is best at improving alertness, fatigue, and vigor.
- A longer, 60 to 90 minute nap will produce the same results as a 10-minute nap, but only an hour after waking;in the interim, you will perform worse than having not had a nap at all.
- If you have had a full night’s sleep, a 60 to 90 minute nap offers the best benefit to memory, mood, and cognitive function.
- If you have had a full night’s sleep and are looking to perform well at creative problem-solving, a 90 minute nap is necessary to bring you into and out of REM sleep, which studies show is an important part of creating new associations and original thinking.
Pzizz is a great tool for getting to sleep quickly and napping for the right amount of time to get the most out of your power nap.
“I've used it ever since having kids and needing a power nap to get through the day (that was 16 yrs ago!!)”
Download for a FREE 7-DAY TRIAL and recharge with a much-needed power nap.